Sunday, September 1, 2013

Launching in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

So, a whole lot has happened since I first posted those many months ago, so grab a cup of tea and we'll catch up!

Well, where to begin? When last I posted, I had just barely committed to studying abroad, and it hadn't really hit me fully that I would be setting out into the great big world guns ablaze (not really though...). First I had no idea how much paperwork I was going to have to actually do, for some reason I thought that once I had been accepted to the program everything would magically fall into place, ohhhh how wrong I was. Thankfully my parental units were totally magnanimous and helped me make sure that I was meeting all deadlines and x-ing where I should x- you know crossing my i's and dotting my t's. One of the biggest things I've had to prepare for is obtaining my Tier 4 Visa. This is a really important document, and if I were studying abroad for an entire year I would have had to fill out a lot more, HOWEVER since I am studying abroad for less than 6 months, I will be getting my Visa at the mothertrucking border. It shouldn't be a big deal, however that hasn't prevented me from having stress dreams of me standing in customs and the security officer going "nope. Sorry we don't want you here."


(no- wait- LET ME IN!)

 So there's that lovely, yet completely ridiculous thought for you.

Another major element in my abroad preparedness has been the acquisition  of a credit card/ debit card that wouldn't charge me a transaction fee, or rob me blind... yeah, still working on that perfect package however DISCLAIMER, again my Mum was instrumental in helping... hell doing the entire process for me. Basically lesson learned, you are never too old not to ask and accept help from your parents. Thanks Mum!


Packing has been the most stressful and horrific part, mostly because for some reason I really hate the transition between two places (this includes transitioning between my camp job, moving to and from College etc). So anyway the first step I took towards readying myself was placing a ban on the word 'packing' in my house and instead have called the process 'gathering.' It's gotten to the point where I will yell "GATHERING"  if someone starts to say a work that starts with a 'p'.... I may or may not be out of control...

(however sometimes I forget my own ban and say the p- word and scare myself)

So, I started by GATHERING (not packing.....) and with most of my stuff it looked kinda like this, one horrible, stress inducing mess. However, Mum to the rescue again (I'm sensing a theme...) With the power of two we were able to pack all of this


into two suitcases. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! The suitcases are under in weight and dimension for the airline I'm taking- BOOYAH!!! There is also this super handy packing trick where you take your clothes, roll them up, place them in a huge ziplock bag, and then suck the air out with a straw. I know, sounds a little funny but it is magic for muggles. Because of that very trick I was able to fit ALL of my clothes into one suitcase, and that has never happened to me before... like ever. So I'm pretty psyched about the whole gathering thing. So now it's to the point where I'm doing the final round up, and most of my things are packed. However, my dog Maggie has picked up on the fact that one of her humans is leaving her, so she made her official declaration of protest by stalking my every move (she figured out it was me) and has systematically made every pile of my stuff on the floor her personal bed

(underneath her in this photo are my sneakers, computer charger and I think a couple pairs of socks)

And while my dog may not be very excited that I'm leaving her, I am so totally excited to make the jump over the pond to Scotland. 



Until the next post
(which I promise will be sooner than this one was)

xxoo

E

No comments:

Post a Comment