Thursday, September 5, 2013

Time to Fill My Boots

Ohmygawd ohmygawd ohmygawd it's finally happening! So what have I been doing with my last 24 hours in good ole 'Murica? Well honestly, I've been working on my mope. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy and jazzed to finally be fulfilling a lifelong dream (I know I'm only twenty, however I stand by my statement). I have been dreaming of going to Scotland, the land of my family, and now it is a dream finally becoming reality. ERMERGERD. Holy smokes. It's happening. Dear God. Wait. This is real.

Unlike Mr. Bilbo Baggins, I will not forget important items such as cloaks and pocket handkerchiefs 

Much like the adorable hobbit above, I am indeed going on an adventure. My bags are fully packed, My ticket has been printed and I am ready. However just because I am ready doesn't mean I am devoid of the feels... I've discovered that when I transition between locations (now when I say locations I don't mean like, supermarket or hair salon, I'm talking about transitions to and from places where I am going to be spending a significant amount of time) really sucks. I feel like I am split between where I am and where I'm going. Ugh it just makes me go:


And then a little bit like:

I digress.


But now that I am less than 24 hours out, it's getting better and I think I'm less mopey... I think. Anyway, I have filled a journal with all of the places I want to go and the things I want to do and see. I have also (in my infinite wisdom) have compiled a list of really important bits of information and wisdom to share with whomever is silly enough to take it.

1. Figure out financial stuff earlier rather than later. I was lucky enough to have parental help on this one, but if I had been on my own I would have been totally screwed. It all worked out in the end, but applying for debit and credit cards that would work for me and wouldn't rack up huge charges while over in the UK was more complicated than I had thought it was going to be. So lesson learned, financial hoop jumping is a pain and if left to the last minute may make you want to:



2. Buy a burner phone once you're over there. If your phone is unlocked then you are one luck son of a nutcracker. However if you are in my boat, get textPlus. This is the bombdiggity, it allows you to text and call other textPlus users for free where ever you are in the world, it also has super low rates for phone calls with people not using textPlus. It's free and paired with a pay as you go burner phone this is a winning deal in my opinion.



3. Pack the Basics. You are going abroad, there will be places for you to shop and accrue clothes, so don't freak out. A good bit of wisdom passed on to me was that I should be able to carry my suitcase by myself. I'm decently strong, but I'm no Bruce Banner, so keeping my luggage light(ish) was and is important. By packing the basics you can layer and make dozens of outfits. Also packing less clothes leaves room for more shoes. You will be fabulous.

Werk those layers.


4. Print duplicates of EVERYTHING. Just common sense here, you never know what might happen, you might not have your wallet due to a series of unfortunate events. Just copy plane tickets, deeds to accommodation, bank statements, passports, credit/debit cards etc. HOPEFULLY and God willing you won't ever need the copies but there you are... Make sure you keep the copies separate from the actual documents and the like, basically copies are a good thing, a very good thing indeed.

Although, I can't say that a photocopy of your rear will do much for you with border security.

5. Take in as MUCH as you possibly CAN, then take in more. I found out so so much in the whole application and gathering process. I can't even imagine how much I'm going to learn once I'm actually there, not just reading about it late at night. I plan on keeping my eyes wide open for all of the opportunities.




6. Feel ALL of the feels. This one I believe is self explanatory, feel happy, sad, confused, anxious, adventurous, excited, terrified, lonely, smothered, bored whatever you feel roll with it. 

This is an okay feeling:


so is this:


and this:


And FINALLY, here are my top six Study Abroad Apps:

1. Skype
2. textPlus
3. Sleep Time
4. Postagram
5. MyFitnessPal
6. Google Translate

The next time I will be posting from Scotland!

Until then

xxoo

E

No comments:

Post a Comment