Thursday, November 21, 2013

Healthy. Happy. Comfortable

Let's talk about healthy living. This comes in three parts as perfectly and brilliantly spoken by one of my favorite Youtubers (subscribe to her channel it's well worth it) in her video here:


Happy. Healthy. Comfortable. I'll admit it, I definitely nursed my way through the first couple of weeks here with comfort food, but then it hit me that just because it tasted good didn't mean it was good for me. At my home university I am on the meal plan which is included in the tuition and entitles me to unlimited trips inside to get whatever my wee heart fancies/whatever is being offered. It was easy to make a wrap, or throw together a salad, pick up some chicken or an apple and be on my way. Here I am self catered, which means exactly what you might think it means. Grocery shopping for the first couple of trips was really intimidating and I'm pretty sure that I looked something like this:

this
a little bit of this

But I eventually learned my way around the store, and now I am pretty happy to say that I know where and when to do my shopping. LOOK AT ME GO. Now when I go to the store I look something like this:



The fresh veg and fruits expire really quickly, so I had to dispose of my once a week shopping trips and go for a twice or three times a week quick shop. Now this isn't to say that I don't still eat junk food, Tesco does this really nice chocolate cheesecake. OR eating guacamole with cheesy Doritos- my American friends- we have been missing out- try this immediately.



Anyway, this huge digression was meant to just illustrate that you don't always have to eat all organic, but to just be conscious of what you are eating and making sure you get some good stuff in there as well. A healthy diet also includes physical activity, 60 minutes a day- this releases endorphins which also increases your happiness levels, which lets be honest with each other is a must when it is cold, grey and rainy out.

Onto happy- what makes me happy? Good music, books, walking around with no place to go, and a pound coin in my pocket at all times. For most of the semester I would walk to and from my classes listening to music, but these past couple of days I haven't. Instead while I'm walking I find myself paying attention to the actual ritual of walking to class, and the beauty of this city as it's waking up. So now I listen to music with a cup of tea, and not when I'm half running to class. Suddenly the music is relaxing once more. Nooks are just flippin' fantastic and I will leave it at that because books are the worlds deadliest weapon, the greatest forger of peace and the ultimate teleportation device. Walking around with no place in particular to go is an art form in my opinion, I bring my camera around with me most of the time to take pictures. In the beginning of the semester I was afraid of loosing the sense of wonder Edinburgh seems to possess, and through these walks I find I'm able to find something new and breathtaking every time- like last night on my way to the cinema (okay I had a destination but I was walking, so I'm batting at 50%, work with me) and my friend grabbed my arm and said something along the lines of "look at how beautiful it is here." She was so right. Edinburgh at night is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my 20 years of life, so if you ever find yourself here, make sure to have a stroll once the sun has set.

And as for the pound coin... it makes me feel like I have a gold galleon in my pocket... and if you have a gold galleon in your pocket nothing can go wrong. SCIENCE.


Comfortable. One of the best things about Edinburgh is that no one gives one care what you wear or what you look like. The outfits I have worn here have ranged from comfort clothes to some pretty odd color and pattern combos that really didn't but I wanted them to so badly...



 ANYWAY my point is comfort is obtained in many different ways- it could be found in pushing boundaries or doing what you already know. No matter what you should always feel like this:


Until the next post

xxoo

E

No comments:

Post a Comment