Friday, November 22, 2013

Twilight of Twenty

I write this post in the last eight hours of my twentieth year of age, and I've gotta say- it has been one heck of a year. Sitting here I don't think I can really remember everything that has happened, which when you think of it is kind of sad because, well every moment I have had this past year changed and shaped me into the person I am today sitting here in my flat. This is my last night as a 20 year old.



But oddly I'm okay with turning a new chapter in my life- I have survived another entire year of life. Basically what I'm saying is that I am invincible. Well, not really but a girl can dream. I feel like year twenty of my life has had a lot going on, a lot of life in twelve months. I've finished my second year of college and started another, I've travelled to foreign countries, and have had a taste of what it is to live on my own, and I have learned the importance of good friends and family. I'd say that's pretty bang on. Turning 21 in the States is a huge mile stone, it means you can swagger up to a bar and say:


But over here I've been legal since I boarded the plane, so the magical allure of waltzing into a bar for the first time legally is a wee bit tainted. BUT listen to this: I will be watching the Edinburgh National team play against Australia, and then I'll be going out to celebrate in proper Scottish style that night. I am so so so excited. I have met amazingly wonderful people while being here, and I consider myself to be one of the luckiest people, because without them I think my birthday would be a little less, I don't know, well I suppose I do- it would be less fun. But because I'm going to be surrounded by fantastic people my vision for tomorrow is something along the lines of:



MIDNIGHT!!!! As I write this now, I am officially 21- whaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?!! Carla (the sweet angel of wonderfulness) stayed up with me watching "I'm a Celebrity, get me out of Here!" which my the way my American friends is amazing and wonderful- watch it, love it. And at midnight as I entered into a new chapter she was there with a huge hug and a festive balloon announcing that it was my birthday.

Things I learned in my 20th year of life:

1. All nighters are never a good idea, you either know the material or you don't. Accept whichever is true and go to bed.

2. It is totally and more than utterly okay to make a royal mess out of something that might have gone smoother. It is not in the mistake that we are defined but how we recover from it.



3. Don't let small things build up into something bigger than they actually are, it's not worth it and you can spend your time doing something way way more worth while.



4. For me family is everything, without them I wouldn't be as strong and confident as I am today- they also know how to keep a girl humble.



5. If you can't laugh at yourself, you're not doing it right.

6. There are many different kinds of friends, they won't all be your best friend, and that is okay.

7. I can't fix other peoples problems, it's not my job or my responsibility, nor is it my responsibility to make people happy all the time.

8. Taking care of yourself is SUPER IMPORTANT, this comes in many forms but it's well worth the while.

9. There should be a balance in my life between academics and non academics. Fully one or the other is not healthy for anyone, you need the two to keep sane. (Honestly I'm still working this balance but the first step is knowing there is one)

10. A cup of tea will fix anything. Literally anything.

Well, that's all for now, until the next post

xxoo

E

No comments:

Post a Comment